Salute to Spouses Blog

We're excited to be blogging about the latest topics in military life. We want to keep you informed on topics such as current events, education, career advice, etc. Feel free to post comments or questions to any of our entries.
Ask Allison: How do I transfer my husband’s GI Bill Educational Benefits to myself or our children?

For the first time ever, service members may transfer their unused GI Bill benefits to their family members. Though there are very specific eligibility requirements, the actual transfer process is easy.

Army wife Lynda Hilliard, of Fort Bragg, N.C., said she completed the process online in about 30 seconds.

“It was really easy,” she said.

Hilliard’s husband will retire in less than three years and she said she wanted to finish the transfer before they became embroiled in retirement planning and inadvertently forget to transfer the credit. One of the criteria for transferring benefits is that it must be done before the service member retires.

To determine if your dependents are eligible to receive transferred benefits, go to Only service members can access this website.

For complete details about eligibility and more links to begin the process, please visit


Do you have a specific question about current events, education benefits, spouse careers, online education or anything military related? Let us help you find the answers. Email Allison at . Please explain what information you are searching for and we will ask our experts and post the answers in this column.  

For Military Spouses
Apply for the Salute to Spouses scholarship today and begin your education! You’ll be on the way to your dream career.

Salute to Spouses Scholarship Recipients